Thursday, February 23, 2006

California wines

This evening I thought I'd pen a few words about California wines in general. Now, as does most every growing region, California produces a wide variety of wines - both in terms of price point and style/varietal. Many wine writers and other afficionados would say that California provides less variety in terms of style that other regions - most notably France.

I'll agree with that - yes California wines has a more consistent in style - but they are more consistent in quality as well. This is indeed the main point I'm raising in this post:

If one wishes to purchase a high quality wine, and one can afford a wine that is say - CAD $18 and up at the LCBO - then you should strongly consider wines from the California section of the wine shop.

The main reason is that California wines are more of a sure fire bet than those from other regions. Expensive French and Italians wines can be wonderful - but they can also be disappointing. Australian wines can be great - but they lack to polish that I find in California wines.

Here are some specific wines to be on the look out for - which are generally available:

Cline Syrah - There is a Carneros version of Cline's Syrah - for about $26. This is an excellent wine - but the better deal is the Cline "California" Syrah (usually about $17.)

Zinfandels starting with 'R' - try Rosenblum, Renwood, Ridge (more $$), Rabbit Ridge, Ravenswood.

2 Comments:

At May 06, 2006 11:28 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi J. Albert, today I¹m surfing for
a good blog experience on fine wine online
and I found your great site. Well
this post wasn¹t exactly what I was
looking for it did receive my
attention and interest. I see now
why I found your resourceful
web-site when I was searching for
fine wine online related information
and I am glad I found your site
even though its not an exact find.
Let me contribute to this site by
leaving you with my favorite
wine quote from Thomas Jefferson!
- "No nation is drunken where wine
is cheap, and none sober where
the dearness of wine substitutes
ardent spirits as the common
beverage" ---Jefferson, Thomas---

 
At May 07, 2006 8:49 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

J. Albert, today I was looking
for a nice blog experience on gift baskets
and I found your website. California wines
wasn¹t exactly what I was looking for
but it did get my attention and
interest. I see why I arrived on your
excellent website when I was searching
for gift baskets related information and
I¹m glad I did even though its not an
exact fit. I¹ll contribute to your
website by leaving you with one of
my favorite wine quote from Thomas
Jefferson:: "Wine from long habit
has become an indispensable for
my health."--Thomas Jefferson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home